How to play Jazz & Tango
How can you groove on a string instrument?
How can you learn to improvise?
What kind of special playing techniques and tricks are used in jazz, rock and tango?
How can string teachers incorporate jazz, rock and pop in their lessons?
If you want to hear my answers to these questions, you can book me for workshops, lectures or lessons. Here are my four workshop formats:
Upcoming Workshop Dates
February 17-18, 2018 I'll be teaching a course for string players at the VdM Hessen in Rüsselsheim
April 28-29, 2018 I'll be teaching workshops at the Congress of String Class Teaching at the Landesmusikakademie
NRW in Heek on Jazz/Rock/Pop in String Classes
July 13-15, 2018 I've been invited to teach 2 workshops at the New Directions Cello Festival in Cologne, Germany.
I'll also be performing in duet there with Etta Scollo on the 14th. And there will be plenty of other interesting workshops, jam sessions, and concerts with interesting cellists from all over the world!
August 29-30, 2018 I will teach two courses at the Musikschulwerk Niederösterreich in Zeillern Castle, Austria. One on improvisation for beginning players, the other on playing techniques in jazz, pop and tango for strings
Postgraduate University Course
- A new postgraduate teacher training course on Improvisation
for String Players will begin in October 2018 at the Bruckner University of Linz, Austria. It is a postgraduate, part-time course
for classical string teachers who want to learn jazz, groove and improvisation. It'll be our fourth round - once again with my wonderful teaching colleagues & jazz cats:
Christoph Cech, Andi Schreiber and Peter Herbert. From October 2018 - June 2020 (8 weekends in total). If you want to take a closer look beforehand, you can join us on the last dates of the preceeding course (in early March & early June) - please contact me beforehand!
- Groovestrich-Schule - (formerly "Bossastrich-Schule") 15 duets to learn the groovebowing technique, Ponticello-Edition 2015. (Version for 2 violins also available)
- Just Doodling, for cello solo, Ponticello-Edition 2013.
- With N. Kruse, J. Piezunka und M. Rutledge: Groovy Strings – Rhythmus & Groove im Streichunterricht - 26 easy to intermediate jazz pieces for string ensemble with teachers' handbook on basics and methods (in German), CD-Extra enclosed, Breitkopf und Härtel 2009
- Tango-Ševčík - How to Play Tango - 13 etudes for tango bowing techniques & 3 pieces. Versions for cello and for violin available.
- And a wide range of pieces and arrangements for cello solo, for duo, trio, and string quartet and also for string orchestra.
- All of these are available from me directly. Ask me about it!